In 1985 ABC aired the sitcom Growing Pains about an upper middle class family in the United States.
I was an avid watcher of this show, madly in love with Mike Seaver until Luke came along. Growing Pains instilled good American family values and life lessons in every episode.
This show, continues to be aired on many of the Christian networks…SEGWAY…which brings up my next point:
- Alan Thicke as Dr. Jason Roland Seaver
- Joanna Kerns as Margaret Katherine “Maggie” Malone (she kept her maiden name, although at some points she did refer to herself as Maggie Seaver)
- Kirk Cameron as Michael Aaron “Mike” Seaver
- Tracey Gold as Carol Anne Seaver (1985–1992) (Gold replaced Elizabeth Ward after the pilot.)
- Jeremy Miller as Benjamin Hubert Horatio Humphrey “Ben” Seaver
- Ashley Johnson as Christine Ellen “Chrissy” Seaver (1990–1992)
- Leonardo DiCaprio as Luke Brower Seaver (later became a Seaver after they adopt him) (1991–1992)
- Josh Andrew Koenig as Richard Milhous “Boner” Stabone (1985–1989, and character was also mentioned during flashbacks in the series finale in 1992); Mike’s friend. Left to join the United States Marines.
The dudes name was BONER! What’s that all about? How was this ever permitted as a nickname on this wholesome show. Maybe if Boner has another meaning in the US, but I’m going to vote it means the same thing as it does in Canada – an unbending male extremity.
Sadly Boner passed away this past spring. I hope he knew that his character made it ok for children all across North America to say the word Boner without getting smacked across the head.